NOTE: We do not offer this option at HLTCOA. We provide information about this option for educational purposes only for those who are researching all hair growth options currently available on the market today.
Pros and Cons of Minoxidil
Androgen-independent hair loss treatments such as Minoxidil, best known by it’s brand name Rogaine, work by dilating small blood vessels in the body including those surrounding hair follicles. It has been shown to provide hair regrowth in around 40% of men after 3 months and continues to support hair growth while used regularly. Unlike androgen-dependent treatments such as finesteride and/or propecia, androgen-independent medicines can be used by women and men.
Minoxidil works best when in liquid form vs foam form. The foam form gets more product on the hair strand where it simply dries out the hair. Foam form also gets less product to the dermal papilla where hair growth actually occurs. It works best when administered onto a perfect scalp environment for hair growth. Open and clear hair follicle openings are more receptive to Minoxidil and other topical treatments as the product is better able to reach the dermal papilla, which is where growth originates.
Using Minoxidil or Rogaine as a stand-alone treatment is slow going. It can take up to 12 months to see noticeable results. For those who are currently using Minoxidil or Rogaine who want to see remarkable and fast results, we recommend using Thairapy Gold – Growth Activation along with Laser Hair Thairapy and a DHT blocker such as Thairapy Gold – DHT Inhibiting Thairapy.
If you are NOT currently using Minoxidil or Rogaine, we highly recommend using Thairapy Gold – Maximum Growth Thairapy along with Laser Hair Therapy and a DHT blocker such as Thairapy Gold – DHT Inhibiting Thairapy.
Pros of using Minoxidil:
- Minoxidil is proven to regrow hair and works best for those with mild hair loss
- Relatively inexpensive
- Can purchase at most drug stores
Cons of using Minoxidil:
- Progress is slow when used as a stand-alone treatment
- Will not restore a missing hairline
- Must continue use indefinitely to maintain growth
Minoxidil and/or Propecia can have serious side effects:
- Can cause excessive hair growth on the forehead and cheeks
- Heart palpitations
- Erythema – a type of skin rash caused by injured or inflamed blood capillaries
- Chest pain
- Swelling of the hands or feet
- Difficulty breathing especially when lying down
- Minoxidil leaves the hair appearing greasy
Those with heart disease should always consult their physician before using Minoxidil or Rogaine.